RICS Regeneration Award: Shortlisted RICS Building Conservation Award: Shortlisted
Bennett Freehill carried out the extensive refurbishment of the listed building and a five storey extension to the rear to provide 14no. one bedroom and 2no. two bedroom apartments. The area to the front of the property is to be landscaped and a new entrance will be added to the rear extension to provide discreet access off Joy Street.
Existing historic details in the convent building will be retained including the pitch pine staircase, window shutters and liners, timber panelled vaulted ceiling, stain glassed windows, plater cornces and decorative ceiling rose details
The former St. Malachy’s Convent of Mercy sits at the corner of Sussex Place and Joy Street within Belfast’s Linen Conservation Area. The building was designed by Alexander McAlister and built by J & J Guiler in 1880 for the Sisters of the Convent of Mercy. It is a symmetrical three-bay redbrick Venetian Gothic-styled B1 listed building.